Isaac Pyatt is a percussionist and composer who creates and performs contemporary music to share with communities and students. As a performing soloist, he has presented several solo percussion recitals in local communities and churches. The two-time winner of the North Carolina Percussive Arts Society University Soloist Competition, he has performed as a soloist and in ensembles at local PAS Days of Percussion. In 2017, as a winner in the UNCG Student Artist Competition, he performed “Prism Rhapsody” by Keiko Abe with the UNCG Symphony Orchestra. He was a finalist in the 2017 Rosen-Schaffel Competition hosted by Appalachian State University. In 2015 he performed in the UNCG percussion ensemble at the Percussive Arts Society International Convention. While a student at UNCG, he was a recipient of the Minerva Scholarship. Recently, Isaac has performed as an extra percussionist with the Winston-Salem and Greensboro Symphonies for Classics and Pops concerts. He frequently performs freelance services for churches, musical theater, and as a marimba soloist. He has studied percussion with Gwendolyn Dease, Eric Willie, John Beck, Charles Ross, and Peter Zlotnick, and music composition with Mark Engebretson and Alejandro Rutty.
His music has been heard in solo and chamber recitals across the state, notably at the UNC-Greensboro School of Music 2016 Collage Concert. He has presented his music at Treefalls: New Music, the University of Nebraska – Kearney New Music Festival, and the SCI Region IV Student Conference. He piece "Breaking the News" is featured by Vic Firth Concert. His marimba etude “Summer Gardens” is available through Tapspace Publications. In addition to performing and promoting his own music, he has premiered works by John Mackey, Jason Treuting, Kendall Williams, Mark Engebretson, Adam Silverman, Lowell Fuchs, Cory Harper-Latkovich, Binshan Zhao, Grace Gollmar, and Wesley Levers.
As a founding member of the Conduit Percussion Trio, Isaac has worked to perform contemporary music with his friends for wider audiences, and to bring those performances to local high schools. These school clinics have focused on introducing to students to different forms of ensemble communication, contemporary performance techniques, and a wider variety of world music traditions. He has previously been on staff as the front ensemble instructor at Ledford High School, and as a counselor at the UNCG Summer Music Camp. Isaac is currently studying a MM at Michigan State University. He is a member of Percussive Arts Society (PAS) and American Society for Composers, Arrangers, and Publishers (ASCAP).
- 2017 Winner of NC Percussive Arts Society with his performances of John Psathas' "One Study" and Iannis Xenakis' "Rebonds A."
- 2017 Winner of UNCG Student Artist Competition with "Prism Rhapsody" by Keiko Abe.
- "Breaking the News" featured at 2017 University of Nebraska-Kearney New Music Festival
- "equal / Scatter" featured at 2017 SCI Region IV Student Conference at UNCG
- "Chaconne No. 2" featured on UNCG School of Music "Collage Concert"
- Won the University category of the North Carolina Percussive Arts Society Soloist Competition (2016) with his performances of Paul Lansky's "Hop (3)" and Eckhard Kopetzki's "Canned Heat".
- "Etude no. 1 - Summer Gardens" published by Tapspace Publications
- Attendee of So Percussion Summer Institute (2016)
- Honorable Mention for Composition "Morn" by Treefalls:New Music (2016)
- UNCG School of Music Minerva Scholarship Recipient (2014-Present)
- Member of UNCG Wind Ensemble, Symphony Orchestra, and Percussion Ensembles (2014-Present)
- Scholarship Recipient from Surry County Arts Council (2015)
- Attendee of Leigh Howard Stevens' 36th Marimba Seminar (2015)
- Attended Brevard Music Center: High School Program (2014)
- Graduated from University of North Carolina School of the Arts High School (2014)
- Attended North Carolina Governor's School West in Instrumental Music (2013)